Hepatology encompass a range of diseases that range from asymptomatic lab abnormalities to life-threatening liver failure. Managing these conditions is challenging, and to be effective requires evaluation by a multi-disciplinary team. We have developed a Section of Hepatology consisting of clinicians, educators, and support staff, all with dedicated interests in managing patients with liver diseases. Comprehensive care is provided through a close collaboration with the internationally recognized specialists at Ohio State’s NCI-affiliated James Cancer Center and Comprehensive Transplant Center to provide personalized care with a team approach.
Clinical trials and cutting edge care
As an academic medical center, Ohio State is dedicated to continually developing better treatments through research, to benefit patients. Patients with liver disease have access to the latest therapies and active clinical trials, including:
- Participating site in the Acute Liver Failure Study Group (ALFSG). Founded in 1998, ALFSG is a NIDDK-funded, collaborative network of 16 adult liver transplant centers. Together, they have studied over 2,000 cases of Acute Liver Failure.
- Phase II and phase III investigations of medications used to treat hepatitis C.
- New treatment approaches for treating decompensated liver disease.
- Emerging therapeutic options for both hepatocellular carcinoma and cholangiocarcinoma.
We are devoted to the comprehensive evaluation and management of all liver disorders, including:
- Hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC)
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NASH)
- Viral hepatitis (including new treatment options for Hepatitis C)
- Autoimmune liver disease
- Metabolic and genetic liver disease
- Medical evaluation for liver transplant
- Continued care for post liver transplant recipients
- Medical management of acute liver
The current and future GHN Hepatology Clinic locations at The Ohio State Wexner Medical Center include:
- Main campus - Doan Hall clinic
- OSU East hospital
- Hilliard ambulatory campus
- Martha Morehouse medical plaza (a multi-specialty liver cancer clinic including Hepatology, Surgical Oncology and Medical Oncology)
- CarePoint East
- OSU Comprehensive Transplant Center at Kinnear
Our Hepatology team includes:
- James Hanje, MD – Director of Hepatology; Program Director, Transplant Hepatology Fellowship
- Robert Kirkpatrick, MD – Associate Program Director, Gastroenterology Fellowship; Associate Program Director Transplant Hepatology Fellowship
- Anthony Michaels, MD – Medical Director, Liver Transplantation
- Khalid Mumtaz, MBBs
- Doug Levin, MD
- Will Lee, MD
- Na Li, MD
- Pamela Kibbe, CNP
- Cynthia Sleppy, CNP
For referral to see a GHN Specialist in our division:
Universal Referral Form